Saturday, January 12, 2008

Thing #18 - Discovering web 2.0 tools

I looked through both lists of the web 2.0 tools and eventually chose Google Maps from the short list, primarily because I was at school and it was the only one that caught my intrest that wasn't blocked by the school's filter. The tour explaining how to create your own map was clear, concise and useful. I like the tool and enjoyed looking around my neighborhood as well as Seattle, Washington where I am going in April. I particularly like the feature that allows you to see the satellite view of the area including rooftops and terrain in the area. For practice I created a map of schools located near my house. I like the idea that the map can be private or public and that I can go back and put in pictures or videos to go with each location. I think this will be a great way to document trips. Also, I think that it will be great projects for history classes to create maps, document sites of important events, and even put in pictures and descriptions of the site's importance. I'm sure it will fit into other classes as well. I also like the fact that you can email your creation, print it, and link it, as well as edit it at a later date. Another good feature is the ease of shifting your focus area around with your cursor. From time to time I need to help a person find a location in another area of town and this is a good tool to use to help them. It is much easier to move around in a small area than Mapquest.

5 comments:

mmw said...

what a great map!

Sandy E. said...

Thanks. I can see real possibilities for documenting trips as well as for using at school.

happylibrarian said...

Your map looks really neat. And that reminds me...on a B day when you and we are not so swamped, you should come by for a visit. We'd love to see you sometime! You are probably too busy to do that, though! We could have some tea sometime. It's a thought!

Sandy E. said...

I'm always ready for tea. Just let me know which B-day would be good for you guys. Unless I'm keeping Kenna, I'm usually flexible.

Village Talkies said...

A great blog, it has a lot of useful information to me
Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.