Friday, January 18, 2008

Is it the end or only the beginning?

This is only the beginning of our technology journey! I am glad and excited about all the things we learned by doing the 23 things, even though I found accomplishing many of them at school frustrating while dealing with the filter and network problems. And it is difficult to find uninterrupted time to read, think about and work on them at school. I am enthusiastic about using the new tools in the library with our students, faculty, and staff. The library world is certainly changing at a frantic pace and I am glad that I have been here to see it. I agree with Karen that I could have used some Content Mastery help to ease frustration. A person to give advice when I reached a roadblock would have been nice (or just to point out where I had overlooked something important, like a password). Maybe an occasional afternoon session for those needing extra help. And while I often thought I needed more time, the deadline was a good thing or I would have just kept putting things off and not finish the list of tasks. And, of course, I am looking forward to learning how to use the Nano I earned. It was good to have a prize to work toward.

I have several favorites among the 23 things. Animoto is first because the creation is so much fun to watch and it is so easy to accomplish. Library Thing is already useful in posting our book club's reading suggestions on our library's web page. Image Chef is great for making signs and buttons to put on the library web page. It was good to have an opportunity to learn more about things that I had heard of, but didn't really understand - My Space, wikis, RSS feeds, YouTube, and social bookmarking. Future plans include a wiki for faculty and staff and podcasting for students to give book reviews.

I am looking forward to the next list of things to learn about and accomplish.

6 comments:

sharonh said...

I agree that deadlines are a good thing or else we might never get to the end. It will be interesting to see how all this will apply at school!

Sandy E. said...

There are so many neat things that would be so neat to do, but I seem to lack the time to do them while I am doing all the other things we do in the library. It's a common complaint, isn't it?

learninglou said...

I agree that with all of the other things that we do as librarians to see how we keep applying the information to our libraries. You had done a great job, and I appreciate your help.

Debbie said...

I loved your title of the post. That really shows your love of learning!

rileyreader said...

Your books on The Library Thing look great. Sorry I didn't get back to you very fast about your questions.

Sandy E. said...

That's fine. It made me figure it out on my on and if I hadn't succeeded, I know you would have helped me out. Thanks friend.