Thursday, January 10, 2008

Thing #17 - Web-based applications: not just for desktops anymore!

I created an account in Zoho Writer and created a document highlighting one of the neatest areas we saw on our summer trip to Canada last year - Singer Castle. I found it difficult to import the picture into the document as it brought it in looking way too large. Now that I have seen it on its web page, perhaps it was all right to begin with. I will need to try it again and see how it turns out. Putting in the text was as easy as typing in a word document so that was nice. When I tried to send the document to my blog, the site would not accept my blog information. I never did figure out what I was doing wrong on that even after going to Blogger to make sure I was typing in all the correct information. So I am evidentally not up to that challenge. Mary and Debbie, do you make house calls (this is a B-day)? Finally I saved it as a public document and gave others the right to add or edit comments. It will be interesting to see what happens with that. By doing this I am able to put the document's link in this blog post and share my creation. This will be a great way to create and share documents because it bypasses the inevitable problem of various computers having different versions of the software you use to create it. It is also a great way for libraries to share information about their events and programs. I'm sure I can figure out some way to use it with Pirates Read!

No comments: